The story behind uCareSystem
The Boyhood of Raleigh by Sir John Everett Millais, oil on canvas, 1870. A seafarer tells the young Sir Walter Raleigh and his brother the story of what happened out at sea Image source: Wikipedia.org
Most software are created for business purposes. But some software are created to solve real life problems. This is the story behind uCareSystem...
Any user who has ever used Ubuntu or any Debian derivative knows that the best way to have their system in a good shape and secure, must use the Update Manger to regularly check for any system and software updates. But that's one part of the procedure where most users usually stop.
- What about the packages that where downloaded for update reasons and now they are not needed and they reserve free space ?
- What about packages that where installed to satisfy dependencies for some packages and that are no more needed ?
- What about packages and configuration files which are not required by any other package upon your system ?
- What about the stored archives in your cache for packages that are no longer in the repositories or that have a newer version in the repositories ?
Well, unfortunately the Update Manger doesn't deal with the above problems and do not provide any means to resolve them. Please read for more information atComparison of uCareSystem and Update Manager>>>
On the other hand, Linux and open source community in general, has created some wonderful tools and so we didn't have to reinvent the wheel.
What we needed for the software, was already out there. The only thing that was missing was just to pick them and add them to a software in such way that it would do what it was intended to.
This tools are :
- Synaptic Package Manager
- Apt-Get command line tools
- Cache Drop
- Bash Script
And that was it !
The first code of the application was released in
19-02-2009under the "2Click Update"name !. At first it was a "primitive" bash script with no user interface and it was used just for personal needs. One day, I shared the app with some friends and got some useful feedback. This feedback has over the next months shaped the overall transformation of 2Click Update which has been tremendous:
- Received many features that were not found in the first releases
- Translated to over 20 Languages by community contributions
- Downloaded over 20.000 times
On these foundations we will continue under a new name, "uCareSystem" pointing out the fact that a user should care about system health.